SDM/CYPRUS - MLC, 2006 Contact point
The MLC, 2006 Contact Point should be used for:
- Asking questions regarding the implementation of the Convention
- Submission of Applications for the issue of the DMLC Part I
- Requests for information from PSC Authorities
- Reporting complaints from seafarers serving on Cyprus flag ships.
Tel: +357 25-823718 / +357 25-823701
Fax: +357 25-305030
The Maritime Labour Convention, 2006
The Maritime Labour Convention, 2006 (Ratification) and for Matters Connected Therewith Law of 2012 (Law 6(III) of 2012)
Related SDM Circulars
Circular 2/2019: Amendments of 2016 to the Code of the Maritime Labour Convention, 2006. Entry into force on 8 January 2019.
Circular 37/2016: Amendments of 2014 to the Code of the Maritime Labour Convention, 2006 - Entry into force on 18 January 2017.
Circular 16/2013: Maritime Labour Convention 2006 - Entry into force of the Maritime Labour Convention, 2006 (Ratification) and for Matters Connected Therewith Law of 2012 (Law No 6(III)/2012).
Circular 38/2012: Ships’ Cooks Certificates
Circular 24/2012: Maritime Labour Convention 2006 – Ratification and Early Implementation by Cyprus.
Procedure for the issuance of the DMLC
The shipowner shall submit to the DMS/Cyprus-MLC, 2006 Contact Point electronically (firstname.lastname@example.org) an application using the form Application for the issuance of a DMLC PART I. The SDM based on the information submitted by the shipowner, will issue the DMLC Part I for the ship. The DMLC Part I will be sent by mail to the shipowner or collected from the SDM.
The shipowner shall prepare the DMLC Part II and request an authorized RO to approve it and then proceed with the inspection and the issue of the Maritime Labour Certificate (MLC).
Documents required to be carried on board
Most of the documents required by the MLC, 2006 can be downloaded using the below links. Compulsory documents as indicated can only be issued by the SDM. Model formats are given to assist Shipowners - Equivalent Shipowner’s documents may be used.
1. Standard Medical Certificate (for Certificates that are issued In the Republic of Cyprus, forms MED01/02/03 are used by recognized Medical Practitioners or General Hospitals that are located in the Republic of Cyprus. For Certificates issued Abroad: Αre accepted in case they are issued by Countries which are in the IMO's STCW White List).
2. Seafarer’s Id. and Sea Service R. B. (Record of Empl.) (COMPULSORY)
3. Seafarer Employment Agreement (SEA) (MODEL FORMAT)
4. Collective Bargaining Agreement (IF ANY)
5. Copy of National Repatriation Provisions (COMPULSORY)
6. Standardized Table of Shipboard Working Arrangements (MODEL FORMAT)
7. Standardized Table of Hours of Rest (MODEL FORMAT)
8. Standard Medical Report Form for Seafarers (COMPULSORY)
9. Report Form of Personal Injury or Loss of Life (as per Circular 19/2005) (COMPULSORY)
10. Model for On-Board Complaint Procedures - (form EN05F203) (MODEL FORMAT)
11. Risk Assessment Form (Circular 20/2005, attachment of Circular 20/2005) (MODEL FORMAT)
12. P&I Club “Certificate of Entry”: Financial Security for Shipowners’ Liability, for Seafarers’ Repatriation and Seafarer compensation for the ship’s loss or foundering, and regarding the amendments of 2014 to the Maritime Labour Convention ,2006 a certificate or other documentary evidence for: (a) Liabilities in respect of outstanding wages and repatriation of a seafarer together with costs and expenses incidental thereto in accordance with Regulation 2.5, Standard A2.5 and Guideline B2.5; and (b) Liabilities in respect of compensating a seafarer for death or long-term disability in accordance with Regulation 4.2, Standard A4.2.1 and Guideline B4.2.
Publications Required to be carried on board
The following publications must be placed on board (links to some of them are provided).
1. Relevant Legislation (see paragraph "LEGISLATION" above)
2. DMS Relevant Circulars (see paragraph "DMS Circulars" above)
3. A copy of the ILO publication Accident Prevention at Sea and in Port
4. A copy of the ILO publication Ambient Factors in the Workplace
5. International Medical Guide for Ships, 3rd Edition (WHO)
6. A copy of the WHO publication Guide to Ship Sanitation (Third Edition)
7. A copy of the ILO publication Recording and Notification of Occ. Accidents and Diseases
8. Medical First Aid Guide for use in Accidents Involving Dangerous Goods (MFAG), Latest Edition (IMO) / (IMO/WHO/ILO) (Ships that carry or might carry Dangerous Goods)
9. International Code of Signals, 2005 Edition (IMO)
10. IAMSAR Manual Vol.3 (Latest Edition)
11. A copy of the Cyprus Code of Safe Working Practices (Circular 20/2005, attachment of Circular 20/2005)
Draft Declaration of Maritime Labour Compliance